Monday, December 20, 2010

mans

Last night we were listening to Christmas music during dinner, and an instrumental version of "Santa Claus is coming to town" came on. After a minute or so, Scarlet asked "When do the mans sing?" I suppose it was one of those "had to be there" moments, but it was just so funny and adorable...so honest and real. She knows the song so well and it's a perfectly legitimate question...Robbie and I couldn't stop laughing and she was laughing too... and singing along to the song...the words that the "mans" weren't.

Even though we have had our share of challenges with Scarlet lately, ("I'm not nobody's best friend!" and "I'm going to shoot you with fire!") I really love this age... I love hanging out with her...being friends with her. I love how as a parent you are automatically an expert on all things..."Mommy, do snowmens have butts?" And sometimes even sort of a mystical being - like when she asks what people far away are doing - "Has cousin Preston gone to bed yet?" or questions about random people in cars, or at Target, that I would have no business knowing the answer to. She is the light of our lives.

Some days I feel like one of those people who have been in prison for so long that they can't make it on the outside... they can't function in the real world outside of the bars. (fine, I saw this once on "Shawshank Redemption.") I mean I wouldn't trade my spot now, and I really am so happy to be "off of bed rest" but some days it would kind of feel good to be told to lie down and rest. I am so enjoying the active life again though... the real deal. Being an active mommy again...well, as active as you can be with a curling stone attached to your midsection. I think the anticipation of this baby is just so exciting... it's so close, and as excited as I am, I am obviously a bit anxious and nervous as well. In the early days of bed rest, labor seemed so far off that I didn't have to worry about it........... and so it goes.

"You are unrepeatable. There is a magic about you that is all your own."

D.M. Dellinger

No comments:

Post a Comment